Friday, February 28, 2014

Review: Panic by Lauren Oliver

17565845
Panic by Lauren Oliver
Publisher-Harper Collins
Released-March 4th 2014
Pre-Order- Amazon / B & N


Panic began as so many things do in Carp, a dead-end town of 12,000 people in the middle of nowhere: because it was summer, and there was nothing else to do.Heather never thought she would compete in Panic, a legendary game played by graduating seniors, where the stakes are high and the payoff is even higher. She’d never thought of herself as fearless, the kind of person who would fight to stand out. But when she finds something, and someone, to fight for, she will discover that she is braver than she ever thought.Dodge has never been afraid of Panic. His secret will fuel him, and get him all the way through the game, he’s sure of it. But what he doesn't know is that he’s not the only one with a secret. Everyone has something to play for.For Heather and Dodge, the game will bring new alliances, unexpected revelations, and the possibility of first love for each of them—and the knowledge that sometimes the very things we fear are those we need the most.
My Thoughts:
I've read Lauren Oliver’s debut novel, Before I Fall and loved it, but sadly it was the only book that I enjoyed since I wasn't able to get into her Delirium series. But I've always loved the way Oliver can write and wanted to try another book by her, which I’m glad I did since I ended up really enjoying Panic.

Panic is a yearly summertime event played by the graduating class and is a series of different challenges for the contenders to compete in. Only one player can win the grand price, which is over sixty thousand this time around. The games are devised in extreme dares to see how well you do under pressure and try not to panic under the heat. The games can be fatal, but all of the players have their reasons for participating. Some do it for revenge, to prove a point or to escape what ever issues or problems they’re going through, but most of them play for the money. They want to win so they can get out of their small little town and be something or find something they can’t find living in Carp.

I really liked this concept, it’s very unique and nothing like I've read in other books. The challenges themselves were pretty wicked, edgy and crazy. The games are supposed to be a reflection of bravery, strength, determination and stupidity, but it turns out to be much more personal to the players. They want out of their town, out of their meaningless lives and they would do anything to get it, even if it means stepping on friendships or betraying the ones you care about the most.

Heather might have went into the games as a desperate attempt to avoid her ex-boyfriend and to prove that she’s more then some fragile girl, but as the story starts to unfold  we start to see that Heather has a bad home life, a dead-beat mother and a little sister to protect. The games felt more intense for her because she had something real to fight for. It was really something to see her after each successful challenge. She’s angry with the people in her life and uses that in the games and soon enough she becomes this fearless and unflinching version of herself that I was really proud of.
Nat wasn't a character that I liked very much. She’s very outspoken, confident and erratic character but she can also be manipulative and even vindictive to get what she wants. I didn't care for how she treated Dodge or even Heather and I also didn't find her reason to be in the games good enough for such contempt and betrayal.
Dodge was someone I really connected with, maybe because his reason was so cut and dry. He wants revenge for what happened to his sister and in a way I can respect that.
Bishop is Heather and Nat’s best friend and he played his part well. Maybe too well. He was so supportive, protective and  loyal so I was quite surprised and didn't expect the twist in his part of the story or how it affected the other characters.

While I liked the story, it does have it's share of flaws. I was a little disappointed by the ending, and thought it all played out a little to smoothly. It lacked any real closure by the things that were said and done by some of these characters,  it felt like it was missing something important and it also lacked that wow-affect that I was waiting for, especially for such a heart pounding and gusty plot. There is also little no romance in this one, which was also slightly disappointing, but the storyline itself is so busy that you don’t really miss it, unless you’re a sap like me.

All in all, I rather liked this one. Panic is all about desperation, and how far you would go to win no matter the consequences. Lauren Oliver writes a convincing and exciting story with daring and damaged characters that I couldn't help be invested with from minute one till its gripping conclusion. Entertaining and engaging from start to finish. Brilliantly done! 

Find the author:
Goodreads / Website                               4 Snowflakes 

6 comments:

  1. I was thinking on starting this one and I'm really happy to see that you liked it! The whole concept sounds really interesting and I hope I get to enjoy it as much as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was disappointed in this book. I love Oliver to pieces and the only reason I gave it a 3 is because she is a great writer. I thought it was boring and predictable. And I had a really hard time connecting to any of the characters. I thought this one would raise me out of my Requiem funk, but it didn't. I am looking forward to her adult book, though. I'd like to see what she does with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, sorry you didn't enjoy this one. I didn't know Oliver was releasing an adult book. I'll have to check that out:-)

      Delete
  3. Honest to goodness I thought I was the only one who didn't like the Delirium books. I was beginning to think there was something wrong with me because I could just not get into them. I finally finished the first book but I had to force myself to do that. I'm interested in this book still, I may check it out afterall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah lol, I just couldn't get into that series, but I had fun with this one. Hope you do too:-)

      Delete