Saturday, November 28, 2015

Review: A Curious Tale of the In-Between by Lauren DeStefano

A Curious Tale of the In-Between (Pram, #1)A Curious Tale of the In-Between by Lauren DeStefano
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Release Date: September 1st, 2015
Purchase: Amazon
Pram Bellamy is special--she can talk to ghosts. She doesn't have too many friends amongst the living, but that's all right. She has her books, she has her aunts, and she has her best friend, the ghostly Felix.

Then Pram meets Clarence, a boy from school who has also lost a parent and is looking for answers. Together they arrive at the door of the mysterious Lady Savant, who promises to help. But this spiritualist knows the true nature of Pram's power, and what she has planned is more terrifying than any ghost.
My thoughts:
The best word I can think of to describe this book is eerie.  It wasn't scary and it wasn't creepy it was just really really eerie.

Lauren DeStefano has written a unique story about a girl who can see ghosts, but I half of me wondered throughout the whole book whether or not Pram was actually seeing ghosts.  At times it felt like maybe Pram was just talking to an imaginary friend, but as the story progressed I did see where the ghosts did indeed become a factor and the story took an interesting twist.  I am curious though because I think I would have liked Felix to have been an imaginary friend.  I think the story would have been a bit stranger which I think is what the author was going for with this one.

I will say that the major plot line was really interesting and I loved use of the asylum.  I've started looking for asylum books and it was a pleasant surprise to find one in this book.  I would have liked to have known more backstory about Lady Savant because she was an interesting character for sure.  I just discovered this will be a series so maybe more of her story will come out throughout the next book.

Pram was strange and when you read about her backstory you will understand why.  She was a very likable character and very brave.  I've found in middle grade books the young characters tend to be way braver than most teenage/adult characters.  I am not sure why this is exactly, but it makes for a strong character for sure.

I loved the innocence between Clarance and Pram.  Lately I have been hunting down books that have zero to no romance because I can't read another instalove story, but this romancish relationship is what I think I've been looking for.  It's completely innocent and sweet and what first crushes are made of.  The author did an amazing job with this relationship and my only wish is that YA takes note.

Other than the initial request to change the story a bit I wouldn't change anything about this.  I loved DeStefano's writing. She has some of the best quotes and honestly made me think throughout the book about death and loved ones.  She has crafted a unique tale that I know I will be thinking about for days to come.

I've come to really enjoy middle grade books and I think this is another strong one to add to my shelves!

4 snowflakes 




0 comments:

Post a Comment